Search This Blog and The Web

Attaching Granny Squares with a Cable Stitch

A couple of years ago I made a video "How To Attach Granny Squares With Cable Stitch," which is very popular with my fans. A lady asked me to write a pattern for it because sometimes there is no Internet connection in her area and she would like to print it. So here we go.

Of course, for materials, you will use same hook and same yarn brand for your Cable Stitch as you used for crocheting your granny squares. Use your choice of color.

And just in case you would like to explore couple other videos on granny squares, just click on THIS LINK for righties or THIS LINK for lefties, which will take you to my Granny Square Playlists.

And here is "How To Attach Granny Squares With Cable Stitch" (for righties only, sorry)

Materials (if you shop via affiliated links below you could help fund my future projects, TXS):
Michaels on line store, OR Hobby Lobby, OR Jo-Ann Fabrics, OR Walmart 
  • any yarn of light (#3) thickness or medium (#4) thickness (I used Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly for my baby blanket)
  • appropriate hook that manufacturer recommends (I used 3.75 mm, US size "F" hook)
  • scissors

Abreviations:

ch - chain
dc - double crochet stitch
prev. - previous
st(s) - stitch(es)
Gsq(s) - granny square(s)
RS - right side


Step-by-Step Directions:

Note: Your starting point will be at one of the corners of the Granny Square.

Step 1           WORK ON THE FIRST SQUARE: ch3 into the corner, crochet around the 1st side: *(skip 1 sts, 1 sc next st, ch3)* - repeat to end of the first side; then into the 2nd corner make 1 sc, ch3, 1 sc; continue along your sides and corners, when you get to the end of your 4th side, make last ch3 and join into the 3rd ch stitch of your initial ch3. (Note in each corner you should have two single crochet stitches separated with ch3, and along the sides, you should have sc in every other stitch separated with ch3 as well).

Step 2          WORK ON THE SECOND SQUARE: do the same as in Step 1 along 3 sides and 2 corners, you will attach first 3rd corner, then one side, and lastly 4th corner (total 2 corners and 1 side) as such: when you make your ch3 after your last sc on the 3rd side make 1 sc into 3rd corner, make ch2, take hook out of the stitch, with both Gsqs facing right way up, insert to hook from right side into the corner so it comes out on the wrong side, grab the loop of your last stitch, pull it through the loop onto the right side, and make another ch (total 3 chains), then make sc in the same corner of the unfinished Gsq; now you will be joining/attaching both sides - one finished and one unfinished: make ch2, line up the finished Gsq (make sure they are not twisted and are facing with RS up) and insert your hook into the first loop of your finished Gsq (the one right after the corner), and join with another chain st - same way as you joined the corner. Continue as such along the sides until you come to the fourth corner, and you will attach again by the same method as you did in the third corner, lastly join with a slip stitch into the 3rd ch stitch of your initial ch3.

Step 3          Attach a row of Gsqs = repeat Step 2 as many times as you want (for your desired number of squares in a row)
  
Step 4         When working on the next rows, you will attach the first square in each row on one side just like in Step 2, but the next consecutive Gsqs will be attached on 3 corners and 2 sides - use the same technique as in step 2, except you will have to continue with 1 more side and 1 more corner (thus 2 sides and 3 corners)

The direction of attaching the 2 sides and 3 corners from #1 to #5
(left handed crocheters from #5 to #1)


***

DID YOU FIND ERRORS? Let me know on what page of my blog, and in which row by clicking HERE, and I will fix it as soon as I get to it. You can PM me on my FB Page HERE as well. Txs!
Also if you haven't subscribed to my HandmadeRukodelky Channel, you can do it HERE. There are many videos to be seen, too.

*******************************************************************************


Copyright page - click HERE



PLEASE, COMMENT ON YOUTUBE BELOW MY VIDEOS, AND/OR SHARE YOUR IMAGES OF YOUR RECREATED WORKS ON MY FB PAGE HERE :-)




Note: Most of the time I work as fast as I can to keep up with knitting and crocheting requests. I have to videotape, edit videos, then convert them & upload them to my channel. After that often I post on my blog patterns. I answer many questions, which means that often I work up to 16 hours a day. I would tremendously appreciate IF anyone of you who finds an error in the written pattern, so please, let me know - where (what rows) and what may be the problem. Many future knitters & crocheters from our artsy and crafty virtual world will thank you for your good deed, including myself.